There are a variety of ways you can get your hands on a winch for your business. Whether you are in the construction industry, marine industry, mining industry or a range of other industries, you may require the use of a winch machine to help you complete a job safely and efficiently. However, looking at a winch company’s website may leave you with more questions than you had before. Should I hire or buy a winch? Are new or used winches better?
That’s why we’ve put together this blog, to help you understand the advantages and disadvantages of each way of getting a winch and how it may suit your company’s needs and requirements. If you’re looking to get your hands on a small winch or winch machine, read on to discover the best way for you.
The first question to decide is whether to buy or hire your winch. There are several reasons why one may suit you more than the other, here’s why.
Buying a winch is a big investment, but it can benefit your business in the long run. Here’s what to consider:
- You always have one when you need it. A great factor of buying a winch is that you don’t have to organise a rental for each project, you’ll always have one ready for you to use, as and when you need it. This can help reduce the amount of time spent organising and arranging your winch order and doesn’t cause any delays on your project.
- More cost-effective in the long-term. If you plan to use a winch machine on a regular basis, it may be more beneficial to make the investment and purchase one for your long-term use. The cost of hiring a winch will slowly add up, potentially making it more cost-effective to buy one.
- Limited to one model. However, if you need a range of winches for your site or workplace, it may be unrealistic to be able to buy several different types of winch. If you are only able to buy one winch, it may not be suited to all the different types of jobs you require it to do. This means it won’t be efficient for all the things you need it for, whereas hiring a winch means you can get the right one for the job each time.
- Insurance and maintenance costs. Another factor to consider when choosing to buy your winch is that you will also have to think about the costs required to insure and maintain your equipment.
- Storage. You will also need to consider the need for storage. If it is a heavy-duty winch, it may be very large and it will be difficult to store when it isn’t being used. If you have the space then it may be worth buying, but hiring gives you the opportunity to keep areas clear when the winch isn’t needed.
Hiring is a more cost-effective approach in the short term and helps some companies who may not be able to afford to purchase a winch or need a variety of different winches.
- No need to worry about maintenance. A great aspect of winch hire is that you aren’t responsible for the maintenance and there’s no need to worry about paying for general wear and tear damages.
- Only pay for what you need. It can also save you money to hire a winch machine because you’re only paying for the time that the winch is being used. Once you’re finished with it, the winch hire company will come and collect the winch for you so you don’t have it taking up space or costing you money while it isn’t being used.
- You can hire different types of winch. If you have multiple jobs that require different types of winches, hiring allows you to get the specific winch for each job rather than having one to use for multiple different tasks. This is much safer and more efficient and helps you ensure the task is completed well.
- Costs add up. If you require a winch on a regular basis, it can become costly because you will need to pay each time you hire it. Over time, this isn’t cost-effective because you will eventually end up paying more than the cost of buying a winch.
- You need to wait for the winch to be delivered. If you need a winch at short notice, you will need to wait for the hiring company to process and deliver your order. Wait times can sometimes put delays in your project if you’re unsure when you need one and have to hire one last minute.
If you’ve decided to buy your own winch, you’ll have to decide whether to choose a new or used winch.
Buying a new winch can be costly, but it does offer more guarantees. Here’s what you need to know:
- Peace of mind. When choosing to buy a brand new winch you won’t have to worry if it’s not working optimally. You’ll have full assurance that it will do the job at hand and, if not, you can send it back to the manufacturer to trade it for one that is working correctly.
- Warranties and guarantees. When buying new you’ll also likely have guarantees and warranties that cover you for a period of time afterwards. So you don’t run the risk of it breaking and needing to get it replaced.
- More value. Over time, a used winch machine will have lost some of its value, so should you come to resell it, you won’t get as much for it. However, selling a relatively new winch will allow you to earn back more money.
If you prefer to opt for the cheaper option, you may decide to pick up a used winch. These will be significantly cheaper, but may not be as reliable. Here’s what to consider:
- Much cheaper. Buying a used or second-hand winch will be much cheaper so you can save yourself money, while still being able to own your own winch. This will also help you save money on hiring a winch.
- Eco-friendly. Buying a second-hand winch helps prevent usable machinery from going to landfills as well as prevents the need to make new winches. This is a much more sustainable option because the energy and resources required to make a brand new winch are much higher than simply buying one that already exists.
- Higher risk. However, when buying a used winch machine, you do run the risk of running into issues that will be your responsibility to fix. You may not have a guarantee or warranty on a second-hand winch so you will either have to pay for repairs or a replacement, which could end up costing you more.
- Safety. If you aren’t purchasing the used winch through a trusted supplier, you may end up with a piece of equipment that has not been checked for safety. This could put you or your workers at harm as you won’t be able to guarantee that the equipment has been properly handled or what repairs have been conducted on it.
Are you looking for quality new and used winches for sale? At Atlas Winch Hire & Hoist Services, we have everything you need to ensure you can get the job done. Whether you’re looking for hydraulic winches, diesel winches, electric or air, we have a fantastic range available to suit any industry. To learn more about what we can do for you, visit our website or give us a call on 01899 221 577 for Scotland or 01371 859 555 for Essex. A member of our team will be happy to help.